Amref Health Africa is an
International non governmental organization founded in 1957 as flying doctors of East Africa to provide critical health care to remote communities in East Africa and has since grown to become the main African based international organization working in health development. Amref is currently implementing more than 140 programmes and projects through its offices in Eastern,
Western and Southern regions of Africa. AMREF’s vision is for “”lasting health Change for Africa”. Its mission is to ensure that every African can enjoy the right to good health by helping to create a vibrant network of informed communities that work with empowered health care providers in strong health systems. We believe the power to transform Africa’s health lies within its
communities. Amref Health Malawi office has began implementing a 3 year intervention (2016 – 2019) that seeks to increase the capacity of the health care system in Neno, Mwanza, Chikhwawa and Ntchisi districts of Malawi. The intervention is aimed at supporting the Ministry of Health to increase capacity building approaches as well as e and learning solutions to increase access to training of both pre and in service learners in integrated healthcare packages for maternal newborn and child health within the standard continuum of care.
The intervention is in response to the scarcity of trained health workers as shown in 2008 Human Resources for health
profile. AMREF is inviting applications from suitably qualified, motivated, hardworking and enthusiastic individuals of Malawi origin to fill 7 Temporary Research Assistant Positions for a 4 month period.
Basic function of the
The Research Assistant is responsible collecting data and documenting results in support of the overall research activities.
Duties and Responsibilities;
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to the following:
- Handle and protect confidential and sensitive research data with integrity.
- Collects data through structured interviews or other project specific methodology.
- Enter data in SPSS and Stata statistical packages.
- Transcribe tapes and handwritten notes; learn and use technology to do these tasks more efficiently.
- Meets with the Principal Investigator on regular basis to maintain ongoing communication regarding
implementation of the research.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Qualifications,experience and key competencies required:
- At least a Bachelor of Science in Nursing /Midwifery or Bachelor of Science in Public Health
- Subject knowledge and oral/written communication skills to discuss and document research progress.
- Ability to work independently
- Strong organization and interpersonal skills.
- High personal motivation, self-management, and detail-orientation
- Responsibility in meeting deadlines and making progress with minimal direct supervision.
- Strong spoken and written communications skills.
- Capacity and will to learn new software, research methods
- Strong existing computer skills with Microsoft Office and general Internet and electronic communications.
- Articulate and tactful communications skills.
- Readiness to meet and work directly with clients
If you meet the above requirements, deliver your application letters ( Clearly indicating the title of the position being applied for on the cover of the envelope, or in the e-mail address subject line), up-to-date CV with 3 traceable referees, 2 of whom should be your most recent employers, at our Lilongwe Office, Area 47/2/38, Linthipe Road, near Small World Bus depot, or to the following addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications received later than 26th August, 2016, will not be considered