More information about this job:
The Quality Advisor will provide technical and programmatic oversight to the quality assurance and improvement components of a CDC-funded HIV Testing Services project in Malawi. The Quality Advisor will be responsible for developing HTS performance standards, assess existing gaps in meeting standards, and developing a plan of action to achieve the desired health outcomes through quality improvement. Additionally, acting as an advisor, s/he will support capacity building activities focused on strengthening quality management systems of local clinical laboratories in high-volume testing locations.
This position is contingent upon award. Malawian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide programmatic leadership for and oversee the strategic planning of quality improvement activities in support of the program goals and objectives
- Implement activities and ensure that the project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of the country, its people, and the donor
- Write and/or review technical components of materials and publications related to quality improvement activities in the project
- Develop and maintain excellent relationships with colleagues and donors in target districts
- Draft, edit and proofread technical materials and reports of project quality improvement activities and results to the donor, including progress and annual reports
- Maintain productive and consistent communication with project and technical staff
- Work with M&E staff to develop indicators and targets related to quality improvement, as well as monitor progress
- Provides technical assistance in implementation of quality testing procedures including new diagnostic technologies.
- Builds capacity of health facilities and laboratories to assess supply chain needs (forecasting, quantification and redistribution) of test kits as part of quality improvement processProvides technical support to facility laboratory technologists on laboratory management.
- Provides technical assistance/guidance on laboratory testing processes, with focus on HIV testing, EID, and proficiency of HIV test results.
- Conducts development, pre-testing, implementation and review of laboratory standard operating procedures (SOPs) to be applied in HIV testing services.
- Ensures SOP’s are available and are adhered to for DBS sample collection and processing including POCT where available
- Coordinates performance and documentation of daily internal quality control and participation in external quality assessment to MOH supported facilities for HTS services.
- Coordinates with the National MOH Laboratory Services (at CHSU) development and reviews of the SOPs and guidelines for Quality of HIV testing services
- Ensures External Quality Assurance, Internal Quality assurance of test kits
- Ensures regular HTS supportive supervision of HTC counsellors at site level
- Ensures counsellors perform regular Quality control on test kits and undergo proficiency testing bi-annually to ensure quality of testing
Clinical and/or master’s degree in public health, international health or a related field
Minimum 5 years’ experience in implementation of HIV related quality assurance and/or medical laboratory activities in a CDC or USAID-funded project.
Competent in development and implementation of work plans, M&E activities and reports.
Demonstrated competency in laboratory activities.
Skills in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery programs, training, pre-service education, performance and quality improvement, M&E.
Ability to liaise with senior central MOH and District Council government officials and senior members of the donor community.
Demonstrated in-depth understanding of the Malawi health care system, particularly the public health system.
Familiarity with CDC and PEPFAR administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems.
Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
Ability to travel unrestricted within Malawi and internationally.
Malawian nationals strongly preferred.