Cooperazione Internazionale – COOPI, is a humanitarian, non-confessional and independent organization founded in 1965 in Milan. Over the last 50 years and through its 22 local offices in the South of the World, COOPI engaged itself in breaking the cycle of poverty and supporting populations affected by wars, socio-economic and environmental crisis or disasters in order to energize resilience and sustainable development.
In Malawi, COOPI is a development strategic partner and since 1999, date of establishment in the Country, it carries out a wide set of operations in Kasungu, Likoma, Mangochi and Salima in Humanitarian Relief, long term development, Livelihood improvement, Resilience against Climate Change, Disaster Risk Reduction and Management, Community Mobilization, Food Security, Agriculture Development, Irrigation, Sustainable Development and Sustainable Agriculture.
Within these operations, the Project Manager will be responsible of Lifuwu’s scheme rehabilitation and expansion to 156Ha and the equipment and training of Lifuwu Cooperative to become a fully functional and well-structured body able, at project conclusion, to sustainably and technically manage project outputs and build a commercial strain able to progressively re-launch its role as an Agro-business catalyser for Salima District with the ambition of becoming a main national actor for agriculture produce exports.
Main purpose of job
Duties and Responsibilities
He/She manages the implementation and coordination of the designated field project within a multi-sectorial programme (Irrigation, Agriculture development, Cooperative development, Food Security, Nutrition, Sustainable Tourism, and Climate Change). He/she manages and evaluates all aspects of the project, and facilitates the flow of information from the field to COOPI Malawi Country Office in Lilongwe. The Project Manager also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and provides team leadership and security.
- Oversees the overall implementation of the project in accordance to its outputs and outcomes ensuring that objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Is responsible to ensure that projects are implemented according to COOPI and EU (Donor) procedures and where necessary ensures preventative and corrective actions.
- Follows the direction of COOPI Country Office regarding visibility, quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Manages project field staff and ensures that staff management is harmonized and compliant with COOPI procedures, guidelines and ethical code of conduct.
- Oversees the procurement process of the project and ensures its compliance with COOPI procurement procedures.
- Ensures complete and timely reporting of activities to COOPI Malawi Head of Mission and to the Donor as required by the project.
- Develops and maintains relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represents COOPI at meetings in order to facilitate and ensure smooth cooperation and strengthened partnerships.
- Supervises and manages project budget, in collaboration with the Head of Mission and the Country Administrator, and in respect of COOPI procedures and Donor guidelines.
- Monitors project activities according to the work-plan and timeline of activities ensuring timely reaction to project needs.
- Bachelor’s Degree in agriculture (with specialization in irrigation) or similar.
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience in agriculture development in Developing Countries.
- Proofed experience in Agribusiness, marketing and Cooperative development.
- Proofed experience in project formulation, implementation and coordination within the development context through International NGOs, UN systems &/or Organizations.
- Good knowledge and use of written and oral English (C1 Level minimum).
- Good report writing skills.
Further requirements are an asset:
- Postgraduate studies in Agriculture or similar.
- Proofed Experience in working with different Donors (EU, ECHO, UKAID, WFP, FAO etc.).
- Proactive aptitude in terms of planning and coordination with different Organizations.
- Target oriented and problem solving aptitude.
- Good leadership skills, aimed at managing and motivating a team.
- Positive ability to bear stressful and complicated situations.
- Diplomatic and confidentiality skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Powered by Jobs Lesotho