Organization: International Potato Center
Closing date: 21 Jul 2017
The International Potato Center (CIP) is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Researcher (social, agricultural, or environmental sciences) to lead the technology component of a new agricultural innovation project, *KULIMA: Improving the access to and use of agriculture research innovations by Malawian farmers.*
Duties and Responsibilities:
Coordination of research and development activities
- Build and manage a strong and productive partnership across the participating CGIAR centers, ensuring fair and equitable participation.
- Provide quality control of work plans and ensure that overall research priorities, technology dissemination and delivery goals are well understood and effectively met across the multi-institutional partnership.
- Establish flexible and accountable processes for timely planning and delivery of research and development activities, including technology dissemination, and reporting.
- Provide intellectual leadership for the design and implementation of operational research to determine opportunities and constraints for agricultural innovation in project target areas.
Reporting and Representation
- As responsible manager for all technical and financial reporting to the donor, ensure timeliness, quality, and responsiveness to donor requests in all areas of reporting.
- Work with relevant units at CIP Malawi and in regional and global CIP offices to obtain technical and administrative support.
- Work with the M&E staff to ensure that monitoring of project indicators is timely and of excellent quality to support adaptive management.
- Represent the project vis-Ã -vis GIZ, EU, GoM, and research partners.
- Participate in regular planning and review meetings with GIZ and EU and ensure that the project is well understood and highly regarded by the donor and all project partners.
- Provide management, leadership and strategic vision in all aspects of project implementation.
- Ensure that project implementation is responsive to communities and partners and aligned with CIPâ€™s principles, values and strategic plan.
- Work with administrative and finance units at CIP and other CGIAR partners, oversee the development of sub-agreements and works plans.
- Monitor adherence to grant agreement, CIP policies and procedures and relevant external rules and regulations.
Staff Management, Professional Development and Team Building
- Create a work atmosphere conducive to professional growth and development of excellent personnel at all levels.
- Promote accountability by conducting staff annual performance reviews with direct supervisees, and ensuring that all staff members are effectively using the performance planning and management system.
- Contribute to project team-building efforts, and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Project Support Operations
- Coordinate with M&E, finance and administration staff to ensure operational systems are in place to support field activities including logistics, procurement, security, administration and human resources.
- In coordination with the CIP Country Manager, propose and design new local operational policies as needed and in accordance with donor and CIP regulations.
- Take a leadership role in the mainstreaming of gender sensitive project interventions, through support and promotion of gender throughout all areas of the project.
- PhD level degree in relevant discipline in the social sciences, agriculture, or environmental sciences. MSc degree in relevant field with formal training in innovation systems will be considered.
- Strong experience of at least 5 years in a field-based rural development project promoting agricultural or other technological innovation, preferably in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Excellent up-to-date knowledge of innovation systems research and underlying social science methodologies, both qualitative and quantitative.
- Experience of coordinating multi-institutional collaboration in support of rural communities and their governance structures.
- Strong understanding of integrating gender and other social equity considerations into project design and delivery.
- Good knowledge of CGIAR research objectives and products and their relevance to agricultural development.
- Experience of coordinating rigorous M&E and hands-on technical reporting.
- Strong experience of using communication technologies as research and development tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are a must.
- Record of scientific and technical publications and citations.
- Willingness to travel frequently in-country and work under field conditions.
How to apply:
Applications: Applicants should apply online through our CIPâ€™s Job Opportunities website ( https://goo.gl/Az9BFa), including a letter of motivation, a full C.V. with the names and contact information of three references that are knowledgeable of the candidateâ€™s professional qualifications and work experience. Screening of applications will begin on July 21st will continue until the post is filled. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Powered by Jobs Zimbabwe