Organization: RTI International
Closing date: 05 Aug 2016
RTI International is seeking candidates for Deputy Chief of Party, Operations (DCOP, Operations) for USAID’s MERIT: Malawi Early Grade Reading Improvement Activity. This activity will assist the Government of Malawi’s efforts to improve the reading abilities of Malawian students in Standards 1-4. MERIT provides technical assistance and support to the Ministry of Education Science and Technology to implement the National reading Program (NRP). MERIT will improve early grade reading achievement through improved early grade reading instruction, supporting the Malawi Institute of Education (MIE) in the development and provision of reading and instructional materials, greater parental and community engagement in providing reading support, and building pathways to the sustainability of improved reading outcomes at district and national levels. It will also advance the USAID/Malawi Country Development Cooperation Strategy priority for integration. This position is based in Lilongwe and will report to the Malawi MERIT Chief of Party.
The DCOP will assist the Chief of Party to ensure timely project implementation and technical reliability, monitor project activities, and ensure quality.
S/he will supervise the planning and delivery of project operations to ensure smooth running of Division and District level implementation of technical activities and ensure that project staff cooperate and support effectively with their government counterparts.
· Maintain oversight of District level implementation of activities to ensure a coordinated and timely approach to achieving NRP goals across all activity objectives.
· Facilitate coordination with other Finance and Administration aspects of MERIT to ensure District level implementation is well planned and efficient.
· Support the Field Operations Coordinator and Division and District level staff to manage effective working relationships with District level stakeholders that supports effective implementation and capacity building and sustainable NRP outcomes.
· Ensure effective coordination and synergies between policy–level, school based, and community based activities.
· Maintain oversight of ME&L activities and ensure compliance with USAID reporting requirements.
· In conjunction with the COP and RTI evaluation advisors and statistical staff, identify, plan and manage implementation of critical studies and other learning activities that provide the MoEST, USAID and RTI with impact analysis and lessons learned which will inform quality project improvements, sustainability, and policy outcomes.
· Working closely with the MERIT ME&L subcontractor and MERIT database specialist, to ensure that data collected outside of the MERIT M&E activity are collected, managed, analyzed and disseminated appropriately so as to provide meaningful information to project staff, USAID and to Ministry counterparts.
· Ensure that evidence based results are used to inform effective implementation of the NRP and promote policy and technical improvements that support improved literacy outcomes in Malawi.
· Track and report monthly and quarterly on programmatic achievements as required for project deliverable reporting. Produces technical and/or operational reports and updates for deliverable reporting and project success stories, including submissions in the USAID portal Devresults
· Provide technical and/or operational guidance and serve as a subject matter expert in assigned area or responsibility
· Serve as Acting Chief of Party as necessary
· Support the COP to manage project personnel as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
· Bachelor’s Degree in relevant social science or related field and 12 years of related work experience; or Master’s Degree in relevant social science or related field and 9 years of related work experience; or Ph.D in relevant social science or related field and 6 years of related work experience.
· A minimum of five (5) years of operation management experience.
· Knowledgeable and experienced with international development contracting policies and procedures, specifically USAID.
· Demonstrated managerial skills.
· Ability to build consensus and demonstrated ability to develop high performing teams.
· Experience in Malawi and in Early Grade Reading preferred.
· Strong leadership skills across various levels of staff and locations.
· Strong ability to work across technical and operational areas within business group and corporate.
· Familiarity with international development systems, policies, finances and management in developing countries.
· Excellent knowledge of MS Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel.
· Ability to multi-task.
· Ability to work well with others.
· Strong communication, both oral and written, strong interpersonal skills, and the ability to develop excellent relations with donor officials and key local stakeholders.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability.
· Culturally sensitive and respectful. ]~V
How to apply:
To Apply: Qualified candidates are invited to apply at www.rti.org/job17307 .
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Only short listed applicants will be contacted. RTI is proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
Powered by Jobs Lesotho