Closing date: 16 Jan 2017
COOPI – Cooperazione Internazionale is a secular and independent Italian nongovernmental organization (NGO) that was founded in 1965. It is currently present in 23 countries across Africa, Latin America and Middle East, where it carries out 200 emergency and development projects and 28 child sponsorship projects. COOPI devotes 94% of the funds it raises to the fight against poverty and the promotion of human rights. Its major donors are and have been the European Commission (of which it is one of the main European partners), the World Food Program, UNICEF, the World Bank, USAID, UKAID, Irish AID, the Norwegian Embassy, DFID, ECHO, The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs, UNHCR, UNHABITAT, WHO and FAO. COOPI also receives support from public bodies, foundations, enterprises, private citizens (over 20,000) and volunteers. Thanks to the professionalism and the commitment of 129 humanitarian collaborators and more than 4,500 local collaborators, in 2014 COOPI reaches 5 million beneficiaries.
COOPI is currently implementing several projects in the Districts of Salima and Mangochi, mainly in the areas of Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Preparedness, Emergency&Relief, Resilience, Climate Change, Food Security, Agriculture and Irrigation.
Position: Base Administrator
Duration: 7 months
Location: Salima with missions in Mangochi and Lilongwe offices
Starting date: 16/01/2017
Key and Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with financial and other requirements set by the Donors and COOPI internal financial and administrative procedures.
- Monitor cash flows and supervise petty cash handling.
- Ensure proper administration for outstanding debtors and creditors, follow-up overdue and signal potential problems in timely manner.
- Produce monthly cash and bank reconciliation statements.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and yearly projects’ financial reports
- Control and assure compliance of program expenditures with program budgets.
- Prepare payment vouchers and verify supporting documents for project and administrative expenditure. Ensure classification of all financial information and documents in accordance with the projects and respective budget lines.
- Ensure appropriate filing system of financial documentation is in place, accurate and updated.
- Provide timely and systematic monitoring of program expenditures as well as timely budget program forecasts.
- Prepare, on a monthly basis, financial reports and/or requests to be sent to COOPI Milan HQs.
- Supervise and manage program staff: supervise preparation of contracts for personnel staff. Manage contracts of local and international staff and supervise administration staff.
- Application of mechanisms relative to any on the job training of personnel working on the project.
- Coordinate and supervise overall policy implementation for the human resources of Salima base, included Labour Law application, recruitment and that staff salaries are effectively paid to eligible staff and an audit trail of records is maintained.
- Supervise preparation of lease contracts, contracts with suppliers and any other contract issued by the program. Ensure that contractual commitments are accurately tracked.
- Supervise appropriateness and updating of all procurement documentation at the various steps of the procurement process. Ensure budget availability of expenditures and that appropriate authorizations are in place
- Ensure that taxes are timely remitted to relevant authorities.
- Bring-up date the stock inventory.
- University degree in social sciences, business or technical sciences.
- A minimum of five years of relevant working experience.
- Experience in international relief and development in African countries in a similar position
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters is a strong advantage.
- Previous work experience in the region is a plus.
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Proven capacity to work in a team is essential. Experience in managing staff is an advantage.
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs.
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure.
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments a plus.
- Fluency in English language.
- Computer literate.