Financial Management Specialist (Re-advertised)
The Government of the Republic of Malawi (GoM) through the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (MoEST), together with education partners and donors, is preparing the Malawi Education Sector Improvement Project (MESIP) that will be a four-year project to be funded by a Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Grant and supervised by the World Bank. The project will assist GoM to improve the quality and efficiency in education services delivery and enhancing the school accountability as planned in the Education Sector Implementation Plan II (ESIP II) 2013/2014-2017/2018.
The Project will be implemented by MoEST through a Program Facilitation Team (PFT).The PFT will help strengthen overall Government Public Financial Management in the education sector. It will also be responsible for coordinating and managing the project on a daily basis and providing procurement and financial management services to project components. In addition it will provide the necessary fiduciary guidance and oversight to beneficiaries for financial management and procurement of consultants, goods and services, as well as M&E
The PFT will be headed by the Project Coordinator (Director of Planning in MoEST) who will be supported by a Project Facilitator, a Procurement Specialist, a Financial Management Specialist an M&E Specialist, and other technical specialists and administrative staff, as required.
Government now wishes to employ a Financial Management Specialist on consultancy services initially for a duration of 12 months, renewable subject to business need and consultant performance. In addition to specific job requirements all team members are expected to have a good knowledge of GoM procedures good command of the English language both spoken and written, good report writing skills, computer skills, leadership and team skills, and ability to work in a multicultural team and environment:
Financial Management Specialist
Reporting to the Project Coordinator, the Financial Management Specialist will be responsible for all accounting, internal control and other financial management functions of the Project.
Scope of Work
- Prepare and update the project financial procedures manual that will ensure compliance with accounting policies and practices as stipulated in the financial management regulations/procedures agreed for the Project.
- Establish and maintain systems for the project to ensure smooth flow and constant availability of financial resources to the project.
- Periodically review the performance of control functions and where appropriate initiate corrective measures to ensure that internal controls are sufficient and function correctly.
- Prepare annual work plans and budgets for MESIP in consultation with MoEST and PFT
- Conduct in-house financial management and accounting training for project staff and other stakeholders.
- Prepare, analyze and consolidate reports in accordance with agreed reporting schedules ensuring correlation between implementation progress and financial performance.
- Prepare project financial reports, including Interim Financial Reports (IFRs) and withdrawal applications for the replenishment of Designated Account, for submission to the Project Coordinator, GoM and World Bank.
- Prepare annual audited financial statements for the Project.
- Review bank reconciliations and other controls necessary to monitor financial and non-financial assets of the project.
- Advise the Project Coordinator on all financial and control considerations of the project.
Competency and Expertise Requirements
- An internationally recognized professional accounting qualification
- Certified Public Accountant, Chartered Accountant or an equivalent professional accounting qualification.
- A member in good standing of a body of accountants affiliated to the International Federation of Accountants (IFAC) will be an added advantage.
- At least 5 years of post-qualification experience of work in a complex environment including managing an accounting department.
- Audit experience would be an added advantage.
Apply by 17th April, 2017 to:
Malawi Education Sector Improvement Project,
Ministry of Education Science and Technology,
Lilongwe 3, MALAWI
Those who applied before need not re-apply.
Powered by Jobs Zimbabwe