The Nkhoma University (NKHUNI) is a new private University which has within a relatively short period of time become one of the important players in tertiary education in Malawi. It has already achieved a prominent ranking position within the Malawian context. It also aims to be internationally accepted and locally relevant. It is further hoped that with the necessary and sustainable comprehensive development, this University, will become one of the universities of choice in Malawi.
2. The Context and Description
The University was established by the Church of Central Africa Presbyterian (CCAP) Nkhoma Synod; in 2013 with an enrolment of 53 students. In the year 2016; the student population had grown to 850 students. NKHUNI and all its five programmes have been accredited by the Malawi Government through the National Council of Higher Education (NCHE) in the three Faculties of Education, Commerce and Theology. As a possible fourth academic faculty, the Nkhoma Nursing College is, parallel to its existing Diploma and Certificate programmes, considering and preparing an accreditation application for a university degree to be offered to qualifying students.
The mission of Nkhoma University is to provide an opportunity for learning to students, enabling them to understand the academic disciplines in a very professional manner and be inspired by the Word of God with its implications for living, character building and service in all God honouring vocations. The University upholds the basic tenets of the Christian faith.
- Applicants should be educated to a minimum of a Diploma in Secretarial services with 10 years of work experience in a relevant field.
- Those with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration/Management plus five years work experience will have an added advantage.
Matron for the Girls Hostel – Nkhoma Campus
- Applicants should be female candidates educated to a minimum of a Teacher’s Certificate or its equivalent with not less than 10 years of work experience in a relevant field.
Lecturer in Geography and Earth Sciences – Nkhoma Campus
- Applicants should have not less than five years of work experience in tertiary education.
- Those with a doctorate degree should have a minimum of three years of work experience in tertiary education.
Lecturer in Mathematical Sciences, Statistics and Computing – Nkhoma Campus
- Applicants should be educated to a minimum of a Masters degree level obtained from a recognized University.
- Teaching experience of not less than three years is preferred.
- Those with a doctorate degree will have an added advantage.
Lecturer in Accounting – Lilongwe Campus
- Applicants should be educated to a minimum of a Masters degree in relevant field plus ACCA or its equivalent with not less than five years of work experience.
- Those with a doctorate degree should have a minimum of three years of work experience.
The position of a Deputy Vice Chancellor (DVC) calls for an exceptional individual, a visionary and experienced leader with relatively high academic standing, great integrity with high moral values, and a global perspective on and commitment to. continue developing the university with high standards and perfection. The successful candidate for the position of DVC will have to enter into a three-year contract with the University but renewable with mutual agreement The package of remuneration will be attractive and also enhanced by performance.
3. Duties and Responsibilities of a Deputy Vice Chancellor
The duties of the DVC will include but not limited to:
- managing as the Deputy Chief Executive responsible for financial, administrative, and academic programmes of the University;
- reporting and being answerable to the Vice Chancellor;
- presiding over, by virtue of the office all committees of Council and Senate; and
- delegating wherever necessary, functions, duties, and responsibilities to a member of top management as he may see fit.
4. Minimum Qualifications for Candidature
Applicants are expected to have;
- a doctorate degree in a related field and to have at least authored a couple of academic publications/ academic articles
- a minimum of 7 years’ experience in a senior and executive leadership position at an academic or similar institution
- strong leadership skills and must have appropriate experience and dynamic vision paired with high academic standing, experience in leading a complex organisation with a strong focus on students, relevant research and experience in community development.
- a strong national but also global outlook with the necessary communication skills to represent the University at all levels and on micro and macro contexts of management.
- proven strategic management, resource management and interpersonal management skills; and
- personal qualities which should include integrity, passion, and must be energetic but with sound judgement.
5. Selection Process of Shortlisted Candidates
- Applications must include an extended Curriculum Vitae, the names, e-mails, and telephone numbers of three high profile referees.
- A one-page document on the previous accomplishments of the candidate at an executive level.
- A two-page document on the candidate’s own perception and of his/her ideals for the new Nkhoma University.
- A broad but brief strategic plan on the candidate’s own possible future leadership position at NKHUNI, and finally.
- A statement of the candidate’s own motivation for applying for this position together with any other related relevant information.
- Applicants should have a Driver’s license with not less than five years of work experience.
- Applicants should also have a defensive driving certificate from an officially recognized source.
Only short listed candidates will be responded to through an invitation to attend interviews All applications must be addressed and delivered to:
The Chairman of the Search Committee,
Post Office Box 136
All applications must reach the University not later than 24th April 2017.
Applicants should be educated to a minimum of a Masters degree in relevant field or its equivalent with Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.
Powered by Jobs Zimbabwe