The Director of Community Health is a key member of the leadership team for APZU and has primary responsibilities that support strategic and programmatic needs in community health across the district. This position supports the Village Health Worker program, the Community Programs team, and the Program on Social and Economic Rights (POSER).
This includes strategic vision, planning, people and financial management, and communication and coordination across the community health departments and with the Clinical and Monitoring & Evaluation departments in addition with other partners in the district. In addition to being a leader and a strategist, this role has significant management responsibilities and this person will work to build program management capacity in his/her team.
The Director of Community Health will be an excellent communicator and mentor, will be experienced in balancing administrative and managerial responsibilities with a need to be on the ground implementing programs in the community. He or she should love innovating, health systems strengthening, and working across teams from a broad range of disciplines in a complex environment.
- Community Health Department Leadership
- Serve on the APZU Senior Management Team
- Ensure effective communication and collaboration between the Community Health Department, clinical teams, M&E team, and other key stakeholders including the MOH, other implementing partners in Neno District, and other departments within APZU
- Support the Community Health Department in reviewing and analyzing program reports, performance metrics, status of activities compared to work plan, actual spending vs budget
- Assist the Community Health Department in preparing, writing, editing reports; help prepare abstracts and manuscript submissions to professional journals
- Be a key leader in developing and implementing grant proposals, supporting grant implementation / compliance, and liaise directly with the employees advising and working on the grants
- Support the Community Health Department in learning from other PIH sites and in dissemination of best practices in Malawi and across PIH sites
- Any other duty assigned
- Build Community Health Department Program Management Capacity
- Facilitate program management by supporting staff to develop strategic goals, workplans, and budgets
- In close collaboration with M&E team, ensure each manager or coordinator has defined, clear and applicable performance metrics for their program, and that they are being monitored on a regular basis and part of the decision-making process.
- Ensure communication across programs runs smoothly, including planning meetings, providing frequent updates and ensuring information is appropriately shared throughout the organization, both within APZU and with colleagues in Boston.
- Develop the managerial capacity of program coordinators through one-on-one coaching and implementation of management training curricula that are directly applicable to managers’ daily work.
MPH, MBA, or equivalent graduate degree with at least 5 years work experience in management, or Bachelor’s degree with additional applicable work experience
Download Latest Version of SHAREit App APK for PC, Android and iPhone. SHAREit Download for PC guide is given here and also for Android, APK. Shareit for PC, free and safe download. SHAREit latest version: Share Files – when it works. SHAREit lets you transfer files from different devices like phones, tablets.
Clinical or public health background strongly preferred
Project management experience and skills demonstrated
Fluent in English and demonstrated proficiency in writing in English
High degree of proficiency with Excel and PowerPoint
Strong communication, writing, and presentation skills
Willingness to live and work full-time in a rural setting.
Proven ability to exercise good judgment and diplomacy
Exemplary interpersonal skills; ability to collaborate effectively with culturally diverse staff across departments and country
Ability to work under pressure, handle multiple assignments, prioritize workflow, and meet deadlines
Willingness to travel frequently within country, and work long hours
Interest in social justice strongly desirable
Willing to commit to at least two years