Malawi Telecommunications Limited (MTL) invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates to fill the vacant positions of Database Architect – HR16017 based at its Blantyre TEC offices in Blantyre.
MTL stands on its Core Values of Customer Focus, Continuous Improvement, Professional Standards, and Management by Example, Highly Ethical and Teamwork & Empowerment. The successful candidates will embody and practice the Company’s Core Values in playing their part in the future of the company.
Vacancy – Database Architect – HR16017
Reporting to the Manager IS Infrastructure, the incumbent will be responsible to lead in the implementation and management of high performing and highly scalable database architecture and solutions. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:-
- Analyzing organization’s business requirements and operations for database design.
- Participating and tracking technical progress of projects to ensure compliance with existing architecture and design.
- Analyzing highly complex system standards, thresholds, and recommendations to maximize system performance.
Database Design and Development
- Designing or participating in the designing of all database systems to be implemented in the organization to ensure optimum performance.
- Contributing towards the designing of logical and physical architectures for systems.
- Designing and developing the most optimum database access techniques.
- Developing or participating in the development of databases to be implemented in the organization.
- Ensuring optimal configuration and administration of key database sub-components.
- Developing a data and database system recovery plan.
- Implementing database infrastructure to provide highly-complex, reliable, and scalable database to meet the organization’s objectives and requirements.
- Implementing changes to database as approved.
- Implementing the most optimum access techniques.
- Implementing auditing and logging of database access.
- Restricting database access only to those formally authorized.
- Implementing a data and database systems recovery plan.
- Periodically review the performance of implemented databases to ensure optimum performance.
- Ensuring database system and applications are properly patched.
- Performing systems analysis on database, and resolving performance, capacity, and any other issues as necessary.
- Ensuring all changes to the database setup are formally approved.
- Recovering database systems to the most optimum performance.
- Reviewing access to databases to ensuring only those authorized have access.
- Reviewing database logs to ensuring there’s no unauthorized access or any other compromise to the data security.
- Conducting backup and recovery of all databases.
- Testing data and database systems recovery plans for all databases in the organization.
- Recording daily database back-ups.
- Developing highly complex system standards, thresholds, and conventions to maximize system performance.
- Maintaining records of database performance and other monitoring activities including performance benchmarks.
- Ensuring availability of detailed design and specification documentation, including flowcharts, data dictionary (‘metadata’), for all aspects of the database
The successful candidate should have the following qualifications and attributes:
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or its equivalent.
- 5+ years proven hands-on experience working with Oracle and Microsoft SQLdatabases, with most of that time spent in the area of performance analysis and remediation.
- 5+ years experience working in Linux, UNIX, and Windows operating environments.
- Having an OCA/OCP certification will be an added advantage.
- Must thrive in a fast-paced, multi tasking and results focused environment.
- An aggressive problem solver who can provide creative solutions to complex situation.
- Should have analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Expert in large-scale Oracle/SQL Server performance profiling and tuning
- Should have excellent written and oral skills.
- Be honest and of good integrity.
- Be results oriented.
- Should be a Team Player.
- Should have good negotiation skills.
Interested candidates should submit their applications together with their curriculum vitae and names and addresses of three traceable referees to the Chief Executive Officer of MTL.
Only applications submitted electronically to HR16016@mtl.mw by 17.00 HOURS on 23rdNovember, 2016 will be considered.
“We are an equal opportunity Employer”