Closing date: 04 Feb 2017
Job title Chief of Party
Department East Africa
Based in Lilongwe, Malawi
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
For over 20 years, PSI has worked in Malawi with support from the Government of Malawi and international donors such as USAID, KfW, DFID, UNITAID and Unicef. Since 1994, PSI has implemented social marketing and social franchising programs with behavior change communication to deliver products and services for a wide range of health areas, including family planning and reproductive health, HIV/AIDS, child survival, and water-borne diseases. PSI’s programs have helped the local population avert over 820,000 disability-affected life years. As you’d expect with results like this, we are a hard-working, focused team who believe in what we do and enjoy working with each other to achieve such results.
PSI seeks highly qualified candidates for the position of Chief of Party for the Malawi Integrated Preventive Health Programme (MIPHP). The candidate will provide effective leadership and day-to-day management of an upcoming DFID-funded project to create demand for services related to nutrition; water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH); indoor air pollution; and sexual and reproductive health. This full-time position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi and report directly to PSI’s Country Representative. This position is contingent upon project award.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will lead this project, managing the MIPHP partners and staff responsible for technical, financial, and operational activities. You will be directly responsible for the management and overall successful performance of PSI/Malawi’s flagship DFID program. You will:
Provide technical oversight
- Provide oversight of policy and technical guidance to implementing partners to ensure quality of social and behavior change (SBC) activities as well as the alignment of priorities
- Lead internal and external program planning and reporting including annual work planning with technical and implementing partners, including capacity building and technical assistance
- Use project, country, and donor data to analyze project progress, update strategies and improve implementation
Lead program planning and execution
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current DFID projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables
- Develop and steward project deliverables and budgets consistent with both organizational and donor requirements
- Meet financial and other reporting requirements as required by DFID and PSI/Washington
- Ensure recruitment and performance management of all MIPHP staff
- Prepare detailed donor reports and consolidate MIPHP partner reports on a quarterly basis
- Monitor development and implementation of annual work plans, and serve as the catalyst for building capacity of national, provincial, and municipal stakeholders and governments
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to support program decisions in order to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact
- Assist the Country Representative with other duties as necessary
Build relationships and capacity among partners
- Provide overall oversight of the project and maintain effective and regular communication with donors, implementing partners, Malawian government entities, and the private sector
- Serve as the focal point for engaging in policy dialogue with the MOH at central, provincial and municipal levels in conjunction with donors on key issues relevant to demand creation for health services in Malawi
- Represent PSI/Malawi and all MIPHP partners in interactions with donors and government, NGO and private sector partners
- Foster relationships with the implementing partners of the DFID-funded Family Planning Service Delivery and Health System Strengthening projects to maximize synergy
- Oversee the development of synthesizing and disseminating lessons learned from projects between implementing partners
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 10 years of work experience of managing a team in a developing country and project oversight experience.
- You have an MBA, MPH, MSC, MBA, MSW or other relevant advanced degree. An MBA is preferred.
- You have lived and worked in a developing country.
- You have demonstrated experience developing and managing budgets for International donors (e.g., USAID, KfW, Global Fund, DFID, etc.).
- You have experience and are passionate in building local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have significant project management, reporting, compliance, and leadership experience.
- You have significant experience in management, international business, strategic marketing and product sales and distribution.
- References will be required.
What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. You have been a Chief of Party or Project Leader of a large DFID-funded project before. You have ideally worked on these projects in Malawi.
DFID experience. You understand DFID regulations and have experience implementing projects under DFID’s compliance standards.
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institutional, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Collaborative manager. You can inspire a shared vision for the project staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work. You can help others resolve conflict and excel as a team.
Connector. You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You can identify new donors and partners for programs. You are able to spot health trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about needs and opportunities in Malawi.
Strategist and innovator. You are creative, innovative and strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in private-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.