Title: Chief of Party
Department Name: Chief Global Programs
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. The promise of a healthy life. Of a decent livelihood. Of sustainable natural resources that benefit communities. Now more than ever in its 42-year history, Pact is helping millions of people who are poor and marginalized discover and build their own solutions and take ownership over their future.
Pact enables systemic solutions that allow those who are poor and marginalized to earn a dignified living, be healthy, and take part in the benefits that nature provides. Pact accomplishes this by strengthening local capacity, forging effective governance systems, and transforming markets into a force for development.
The USAID-funded Fisheries Integration of Society and Habitats (FISH) project is increasing social, ecological, and economic resilience to climate change and improving biodiversity conservation through sustainable fisheries co-management. The project is enabling communities and local government to protect four of Malawi’s main lakes, which contribute significantly to the health of the country and its people. Caring for these ecosystems improves the lives of tens of thousands of households that rely on the lakes for nutrition and income.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the Chief of Party is responsible for the overall leadership and oversight of the FISH program. S/he will serve as the primary liaison to USAID, the Government of Malawi, and other project stakeholders. The Chief of Party (COP) will provide technical and strategic oversight of implementation during the project’s last three years with a focus on climate change adaptation and management.
- Provide technical leadership to ensure high quality programming to achieve project results; ensure that the technical assistance provided by the project is effective and sustainable.
- Responsible for the overall quality control and the timeliness of all required deliverables.
- Oversee development, implementation, monitoring and reporting on all FISH work plans and budgets.
- Responsible for management of FISH partners and oversee technical assistance and capacity building to local partners for delivery of FISH interventions, and overall achievement of FISH objectives and targets.
- Responsible for Quarterly and Annual reports, Annual work plans, Performance Indicators, Financial reports, regular results reporting as needed.
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID/Malawi, government stakeholders, donors, and all other relevant stakeholders and client country partners.
- Manage project budget to meet expected results, ensuring cost-effective use of resources in compliance with USAID rules and regulations.
- Oversee project monitoring and evaluation; ensure that project impact reporting requirements are met.
- Supervise and coordinate the sub-grant management process, including advice on assessing the programmatic potential of grants and strengthen appropriate procedures for project funds.
- Ensure close coordination with other relevant initiatives/programs in country.
- Ensure effective application of internal controls, US Government, and Pact policies and procedures.
- Represent Pact at conferences, working groups, and meetings to support Pact’s thought leadership in natural resource management programming in Malawi and the region.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Advanced degree (Masters or PhD) in a relevant field such as environmental science or management, natural resource management, biodiversity conservation, natural science, or other relevant field with strong emphasis on climate change adaptation.
- At least 8 years of experience in a senior level management and leadership position, including direct supervision of staff, program management, and technical leadership.
- A minimum of 15 years of technical experience in climate change, biodiversity conservation, natural resource management or fisheries (including knowledge of current approaches and principles) – preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Demonstrated experience managing multi?million dollar donor-funded complex projects.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and sustain professional relationships, and to work collaboratively with host government agencies, civil society and community-based organizations, and other donors
- Experience managing USAID contracts and cooperative agreements.
- Ability to respond to changing situations as well as diverse stakeholders and government partners in a flexible manner.
- Proven track record of effective and convincing negotiation skills.
- Ability to produce exceptional quality deliverables and a strong commitment to work.
- Strong organizational skills including task and time management
To apply for this position, please click link:http://pactworld.force.com/careers/VanaHCM__Job_Detail?Id=a33j0000000MQNLAA4