An opportunity is available for a suitably qualified and experienced Carpenter in Malawi.
This position is located in the Consolidated Facilities Maintenance Section, US Mission, Lilongwe, Malawi. The primary purpose of this position is to perform carpentry projects involving Mission offices, warehouse and residences, repairs and renovations to buildings and minor repairs on offices and household furniture. Interprets construction drawings for renovations.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Determines nature and extent of work to be done from supervisory instructions, work orders, and on-site examination of projects.
- Replaces parts when necessary by selecting appropriate materials and uses appropriate tools to perform and complete assignment.
- Performs office renovations and repair projects including planning, estimating of materials and performance of work.
- Builds shelves, cabinets, tables and other furniture using hand and power tools.
- Builds office partitions as requested.
- Insures safety and structural integrity of all work projects.
- Performs minor repairs on household and office furniture.
- Occasional driving of maintenance vehicles and any other duties as required.
- Supervision Received:
- Direct supervision from the Maintenance Supervisor (Structural).
- Indirect supervision from the Assistant Facility Manager.
- Available Guidelines:
- Manufacturer’s instructions, building and safety codes.
- Exercise of Judgment:
- Judgment is required to get the best materials suitable for particular projects bearing in mind the cost and durability factors.
- Must be safety conscious.
- Authority to Make Commitments:
- Nature, Level and Purpose of Contacts:
- All State and USAID employees in making repairs, various suppliers of materials required in the performance of duties, e.g. sawmills, hardware dealers.
- Supervision Exercised:
- Gives work guidance to laborers and Maintenance Assistants as required for specific jobs.
- Time Required to Perform Full Range of Duties:
- Six months.
- Completion of secondary school.
- Completion of vocational training or apprenticeship recognize as producing journeyman level skills.
- Grade 1 Trade Test and City and Guilds Craft Certificates.
- Prior Work Experience:
- Three years of journeyman experience required.
- Post Entry Training:
- Guidance from the Maintenance Supervisor (Structural).
- Language Proficiency:
- Level II English and Level II Chichewa (Local)
- Must be fully knowledgeable in all aspects of carpentry craftsmanship.
- Basic knowledge of other crafts e.g. bricklaying, plumbing etc.
- Abilities and Skills:
- Must be able to use all tools of carpentry trade.
- Must have computer skills to be able to write reports and respond to maintenance requests.
Powered by Jobs Zimbabwe