Lilongwe Water Board, a Statutory Corporation under the Malawi Government, is responsible for the supply and distribution of quality potable water to the residents of the City of Lilongwe. The Board is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates of Malawi origin to fill the following vacant positions tenable at its Head Office, Madzi House, Off Likuni Road, in Lilongwe
Zone Manager (3 Posts)
Reporting to the Director of Technical Services the Zone Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Water distribution management, business management, financial and budget management, HR and labour relationsâ€™ management and public relations and communications management.;
- Initiating the formulation and review of water supply policies, strategies, annual work plans and budget and creating appropriate working climate in the zone;
- Planning, organizing directing and coordinating implementation of water supply services operational, financial, human resource, administrative, organizational and cultural activities in the zone in accordance with good practice and legal provisions;
- Mobilization, of resources for operations in respect of zone programs and that assets, infrastructure and the resources are safe and used for the furtherance of the objectives of the Board;
- Organizing and ensuring that construction of and maintenance of water supply systems and works from water reservoirs to water user meters in the zone are carried out timely.
- Developing and reviewing non-revenue water reduction strategies in collaboration with Non â€” Revenue Water Manager,
- Co-coordinating outsourced contracts at Zone level,
- Monitoring and evaluating performance of all water supply services in the zone area and liaising with Production Division / Sections to enhance and sustain water supply;
- Reporting to management on water supply situations, trends and other effects that have bearing on water supply services in the zone;
- Preparing and presenting appropriate reports to management as required from time to time;
- Ensuring that the zone office has adequate resources at all times that water supply and business is not disrupted;
- Championing change management; corporate governance; risk management and internal control processes on matters related to water supply services in zone management matters;
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with other departments, leaders up and down the organization and the union.
- Responding to queries on matters related to water supply and business in the zone;
- Demonstrating outstanding commitment to service delivery programs of the Board by personally identifying and reporting water bursts / leakages to customer care division of which verifiable repair records shall be tendered to be used as one of the components for assessment during oneâ€™s performance appraisal time;
- Building the capacity of the zone office at all levels.
- Safety and environmental compliance are core values, so developing a culture where employees identify and address risks and hazards, unsafe behaviours and participate and make suggestions for improvement is crucial to our success as a business, operation and team.
- Ensuring adherence and compliance with corporate policies and governmental requirements relative to the operation and maintenance of distribution network and customer connections;
- Motivating and developing a team of approximately 90 employees to continuously improve zone performance and business management
- Investigate, recommend, and implement new equipment or process changes and/or modifications that will improve operations, productivity, and reduce costs.
- Using Reliability concepts (i.e. root cause failure analysis, operator basic care) and critical thinking skills to effectively troubleshoot and solve complex operating issues.
- Leading and participate in continuous improvement efforts.
- Maintaining necessary zone records and reports, follow up and delegate as needed for all significant problems.
- Possess excellent leadership, management, interpersonal, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
Reporting to the Assistant Accountant the Accounts Assistant will be responsible for the following:
- Compiling payment vouchers; Capturing transactions into ledgers; Preparing payment vouchers and cheques;
- Updating cash books,
- Capturing salary inputs;
- Filing accounting documents;
- Demonstrating outstanding patriotism to service delivery programmes of the Board by personally identifying and reporting water bursts/ leakages to customer care division of which verifiable repair records shall be tendered to be used as one of the components for assessment during oneâ€™s performance appraisal time
Applicant for this position must have:
- a minimum of Malawi School Certificate of Education
- plus Certificate in Accounting.
- Tracking all new connections to the billing system to ensure all new connections are being billed;
- Carry out monthly sales and customer trend analyses, highlighting areas of inconsistencies for managementâ€™s attention;
- Analyzing and evaluating incidences of estimated readings from the billing system per Zone and area on a monthly basis including establishment of related trends;
- Recommend and follow up on remedial actions to reduce incidences of estimated readings including enforcement of meter replacement programs;
- Customer database updating including such details as correction of tariff category and meter numbers; Producing monthly Never Connected/Unbilled Account
- Reports and recommending act-ion to eliminate existence of the Never Connected/Unbilled Accounts from the system;
- Conducting monthly water balance and Non-Revenue Water Commercial losses calculations;
- Evaluating meter reading reports to identify inaccurate readings and other inconsistencies for zone managementâ€™s attention;
- Estimating water and revenue losses through illegal connections,
- Analyze customer monthly consumption patterns including zero consumptions;
- Analyze customer monthly consumption patterns with an aim of recommending water demand management measures to customers deemed to be having higher than normal consumptions,
- Produce reports on frequencies approved by management
- at least a Bachelor of Science Degree in Accountancy, Social Sciences or Science â€”Statistics from a recognized tertiary institution
- at least three (3) years experience.
- Development of water meter standards and specifications in liaison with various stakeholders within the Water Board;
- Development and implementation of the Meter Replacement Policy for the Water Board;
- Carrying out meter testing on request by the zones and customers;
- Development and implementation of a periodic water meter performance assessment program;
- Verifying adherence to standards and testing of all new consignments of meters,
- Periodic calibration of meters (Production, DMA, Customers etc.);
- Ensuring damaged water meters are repaired and calibrated for re-installation in the field,
- Servicing and cleaning meters (Production, DMA etc.);
- Supervising installation of meters to ensure adherence to standards;
- Supervising all the operations of the Meter Laboratory;
- Adhering to quality and safety standards in the handling and utilization of equipment
- Demonstrating outstanding commitment to service delivery programmes of the Board by personally identifying and reporting water bursts/leakages to customer care division-of which verifiable repair records shall be tendered to be used as one of the components for assessment during oneâ€™s performance appraisal time
- Coordinating the mobilization and utilization of water supply related resources;
- Designing, implementing and supervising construction of water supply systems;
- Examining new water connection assessments, quotations and installation works;
- Coordinating all maintenance works within the Zone and enforcing standards;
- Carrying out water balances and implementing non revenue water reduction strategies within the zone;
- Marking frequently bursting pipes within the Distribution Network using Geographical Information System (GIS) and arrange replacement of the same;
- Supervising contractors working within the zone and recommend certificates prepared by the contractor for payment;
- Facilitating road reinstatement after repair of faults which occur within tarmac roads;
- Enforcing bye-laws;
- Supervising and appraising staff under his/her care;
- Participating in carrying out maintenance work on mains and supply pipes in emergencies and or when need arises;
- Preparing reports; Responding to queries on matters related to water supply aspects;
- Demonstrating outstanding commitment to service delivery programs of the Board by personally identifying and reporting water bursts/leakages to customer care Division of which verifiable repair records shall be tendered to be used as one of the components for assessment during oneâ€™s performance appraisal time;
- Building the capacity of water supply in the zone at all levels Qualifications
- Take leading role in facilitation and management of NRW with clear focus on the identification of NRW management issues, and reduction of NRW volumes through targeted actions;
- Prioritize target non-revenue water reduction and develop reduction strategies / guidelines / procedures for effective and efficient execution and monitoring of NRW reduction measures;
- Mine data and figuratively determine NRW components of 1) physical losses and 2) commercial losses and develop specific strategies and tactics for dealing with each one of them.
- Prepare and present appropriate reports to management as required from time to time;
- Demonstrate outstanding commitment to service delivery programs of the Board by personally identifying and taking action on water bursts / leakages of which verifiable repair records shall be tendered to be used as one of the components for assessment during tineâ€™s performance appraisal time.
- Build capacity of the operations team to reduce production system losses to allowable levels;
- Build zone capacity to manage NRW;
- Develop OPEX and CAPEX priority programs aimed at dealing with NRW challenge;
- Prepare OPEX and CAPEX budgets for NRW
- Develop customer feedback system for fault management system Involve stakeholders including management, operations staff, the public, the universities etc;
- Identify and build partnerships for twining and learning;
- Monitor performance of NRW management interventions by developing performance indicators and monitoring program through a logical framework
- Respond to queries on matters relating to NRW losses
- Implementation of district metering programs (in District Metered Areas (DMAs)) and carrying out steps to ensure accurate night line readings are obtained in order to identify leaks;
- Carrying out IWA water balances and implementing non-revenue water reduction strategies within the zones and DMAs;
- Collecting and analyzing data related to NRW reduction activities;
- Ensure that bulk metering devices are calibrated or replaced so that accurate production or zone supply data is measured accurately;
Reporting to the Finance Directorate the Data Analyst will be responsible for the following:
Applicants must have:
Meter Laboratory Supervisor
Reporting to the Infrastructure Planning Engineer the Meter Laboratory Supervisor will be responsible for the following:
Reporting to the Zone Manager, the Distribution Engineer will be responsible for:
Non-Revenue Water Manager
District Metered Areas
Method of Application
All interested persons who meet the above requirements should submit their applications with detailed Curriculum Vitae specifying qualifications, Experience for the job, Contact Telephone Numbers, E-mail and Addresses of three traceable referees from previous employer and also indicate the position applied for on the envelope to
The Chief Executive Officer,
Lilongwe Water Board,
P.O. Box 96,
To reach him not later than 9th June, 2017. Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged
Powered by Jobs Zimbabwe